Welcome to Room 2

We hope that you enjoy sharing our learning with us.

Wednesday 23 November 2011

Island Bay Marine Reserve - Rocky Shores Visit


Rooms 1, 2 and 3 had a fantastic time down in Wellington investigating the rock pools and sea creature touch pools at the Island Bay Marine Reserve.  We were really lucky with the weather - rain and wind gave way to beautiful blue skies!  The children were awesome and most had a go at touching or holding some of the exciting sea creatures.  There were sea cucumbers, star fish, sea anemones, hermit crabs, octopi, fish, sea spiders and heaps of other animals!  
Starfish or Sea Star

Sea Urchin

Sea Anemone in a Paua Shell


Looking closely!

Thinking about picking up some creatures.



Mr Turtle


One of the fish.
 

Handling the creatures.
Camo Crab

Star Fish!

Hermit Crab


Yeuch - holding a Sea Slug.




The foot of a Sea Snail.

The Sea Anemones.

Going rock pooling.



A Sea Anemone - waiting for the tide to come in.

But what did the children have to say......

Zoe - When the lady gave me the Camo Crab it was heavy and spiky.

Georgina - When I picked up a Spider Star Fish it felt bumpy.

Estella - When the lady gave me the sea crab it was spiky.

Nate - The lady gave me the Camo Crab.  First I was scared, then I held it.

Hana - The Sea Anemone felt like jelly and it was very smooth and sticky and sloppy.

Hugo - I liked it when I picked up the sea slug up.  It was slimy and yucky.

Amy-Lee - I was too scared to pick up a StarFish but I picked a baby one up.

Angelina - I liked feeding the Turtles.  First I had it (the food) on a little string, then really tight in my hand.  I held it really tight because they are really strong.

Angus - When I fed the fish I had to get up on a big, big, big ladder because the fish tank was really big.




No comments:

Post a Comment